Thursday, September 17, 2009

98,000 deaths a year....

Did you know that approx. 98,000 people in the country die every year due to medical mistakes???????? It is right up there with the top killers, along with cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Wow. I didn't know it was that bad until I read an article yesterday in this months Good Housekeeping magazine. The article is written by a mom who lost her 18 month old due to medical errors. Mainly miscommunication.
Sometimes, while in the hospital, I have caught myself saying to my very attentive husband, "They are medical professionals, honey, they know what they are doing." Well, yeah, probably. BUT mistakes happen. We never take our eyes off of what Zoe's nurses and docs do while she is in. Of course, we can't see what goes on in surgeries. We actually have a 'reputation' on the cf floor....as the parents who are "very meticulous about their daughter's care". Oh well.
Anyways, for your info....her site is josieking.org

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm sure I have a reputation too. And they don't call me anything as nice as the "meticulous parent". You have to keep on top of everybody. They are just regular people who can, and often do, make mistakes. It gets very tiring.

    ReplyDelete